Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Human Love Holiday

Yesterday, on Valentines Day, I hope we all did well in expressing our love to those who love us. I hope we made sure to do good to at least a few of the people in our lives who do good to us. I bet we gave gifts to our Valentines, excited to give, but also ready to receive (card-less husbands get in trouble!).

Let's all congratulate ourselves on loving like sinners. I mean, he doesn't say that it's bad to love that way, but Jesus definitely implies that it's the bare minimum.

"If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount."

So, it looks like most of my loving is no better than "sinner"-love. (Not surprising, really.) Who does this "sinner" count on to do good to me when I don't do good to Him? To love me when I am not loving and to give to me knowing I will never, ever pay Him back?

"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil."

Oh, how the world needs a God like this One. And it would probably be much more helpful to my Jesus and His kingdom if I gave some of this kind of love away myself. May I act like the daughter of the Most High that I am in kindness to the ungrateful and the evil.

"Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful."

Luke 6: 27-36

1 comment:

  1. This is the most unique Valentine's Day thought I have heard.. Most of the time when people try to make you "think" on Valentines Day it comes out kind of corny. This is actually really powerful. And true.

    ReplyDelete