I have been thinking about how dads are kind of left out sometimes. For example, all the books we have talk about mommies putting their babies to bed. Obviously (if you know me well at all), you know I am very passionate about the importance of mommies to their kids. But, really, give dads some recognition. If I could write childrens books I would write a few about dads and the funny and tender ways they dress, play with, and put their babies to bed.
As a tribute to dads (and especially to the gift I have in Sydney's dad) I am posting a poem I wrote for Luke on Valentines Day. I was trying to capture the sweetness of what he does for us everyday. So...here's to you, Dads of the world (especially to my brother-in-laws who I watch with their wives and children). Thanks for perservering in your devotion to your families.
The Beginning
You begin our days
feeding the dog
giving a kiss
leaving amid a string of
"please do," and "don't forget," and "when?" this
And you end our days
as a welcome new playmate
a needed relief
more food for the dog
All the troubles of all our days
are eventually emptied on you
spooning in your evening meal
resting in your chair
like a sponge
like a rock
you absorb it
you are not broken
so much is said
yet this is not spoken
Thank you for standing
at the end of our days
and taking us in
For the devotion
that sends you out
and brings you home
And wakes you up
again
to begin.
That's so sweet. I can't believe I'm about to admit this publicly but it almost made me tear up. Being a mom really does make a person more mushy. I've noticed that about books too. I'll let you know if I find any good daddy books.
ReplyDelete