Saturday, March 6, 2010

Amazing Love in Blood Diamond

We watched Blood Diamond with Luke's parents last night. I had to muffle my sobs during a scene that moved me the first time I saw it, but hit even deeper this time. It is the scene when Solomon, an African fisherman, has found his son, Dia, who was kidnapped by the Rebel Army and made to be a child soldier. After living months away from his family, doing drugs and being made to kill even women and children, he escapes the camp with his father. Dia pulls a gun on the man Solomon is traveling with and Solomon says...

"Dia. What are you doing? Dia!! Look at me. Look at me! What are you doing?"

Dia turns the gun on his father, as Solomon walks slowly towards him...

"You are Dia Vandy of the Proumanday Tribe. You are a good boy. You love soccer and school. Your mother loves you so much. She waits by the fire making plantains and red stew. And the new baby... The cows wait for you, and Bakwu, the wild dog who minds noone but you. Mmmm?

I know they made you do bad things. You are not a bad boy. I am your father who loves you. And you will come home with me, and be my son again."


This is my God. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite part of this movie- I forgot about it until I read this. I started crying halfway through your post. And then I read it to Jackson-- looked over and his eyes were teary too. :)

    So, obviously I'm saying- this was a precious journal entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wa. That is one of the most touching scenes I have ever seen. Glad I reminded you of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Olivia. Luke needs to preach that one! Or, on second thought, I will!!!

    ReplyDelete